I decided to start a garden this year, something I have wanted for years but was too scared to actually go through with. Both sides of my family have deep southern farming roots, so I feel like it's in my blood (though I am not ready to jump on a combine :-) ) My dad has had a garden of some sort since I was very little, and I have always looked forward to some of the fresh veggies he produced. Though I didn't look forward to the summer chore of picking and shelling peas, a task my brother and I avoided at all costs.
I wanted to start small this year, not get overwhelmed, and not overwhelm the small space I wanted to occupy with a garden. So, my husband took me to pick out seeds and get my little green dream started. I chose 10 veggies: beans, broccoli, carrots, lettuce, peppers, tomatoes, okra, peas, onions and zucchini. I am nervous, but hopeful that this will go well.
I had a special little helper when setting up my mini greenhouse to get my seeds started. We had such a good time, and he did an awesome job of following instructions and being patient (something we are slowly but surely working on). We filled the greenhouse with soil, then planted 2-4 seeds, depending on the veggie, in each hole. Then we labeled everything so we can keep up with what is what.
That little guy means we did something right! This made me even more excited about building my raised beds once the weather is a little nicer. We will be able to transplant these outside once the risk of freeze is over. I am currently researching how to build raised beds, soil and fertilizer types, insect and pest tips, etc. My husband jokes that he is going to go ahead and purchase my straw hat. :-) I can't wait to keep you all updated on my newest little venture. Hopefully we will have some great stuff to can/freeze and enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment