I started my most exciting "project" today. I got the opportunity to do a "random act of kindness" while at lunch for my birthday in September and it made my day. There was zero recognition or acknowledgement; I actually was frantically leaving to be sure I wasn't seen. It's the simple feeling of knowing you may have put a smile on a complete strangers face, for no reason other than just caring. It's funny, I went into that moment thinking I might get to bless someone with a small surprise, when I was really the one who came away feeling like I gained from the experience. So, I decided that I wanted to spend a month or so doing these random acts.
After the loss of my mom, I have struggled to find the "Christmas Spirit", which I am usually spilling over with. I am obviously very excited to spend another holiday with my little family, and the look on our little boy's face Christmas morning will warm my heart just as much as any other year, but in the back of my mind and heart, I am dealing with a lot. I needed something to help keep my mind off of wishing the holidays away. This was it! What better way to keep my mind in a positive place than to focus on something I can do for someone else on a daily basis until Christmas Eve? I have spent the past couple of weeks thinking and planning what I could do and when (have to plan for out-of-town trips!) I love the whole concept and can't wait to spend the next few weeks doing some of the great ideas I have come up with, and some I have found on the wonderful filler of my time that is.....Pinterest. :-)
This evening was my first random act and it was a very easy one to do, that hopefully made someone smile. We stopped by our favorite fast food chicken restaurant on our way to see Christmas lights. When we got to the window to pay, I asked to pay for the person behind us as well. I also gave them a little note to give the person instead. (I have super cute printouts, but I completely forgot to bring one and had to make an impromptu version.) The two girls working the window were so interested in what and why we were doing, they almost forgot to swipe my card! It was really exciting to share the idea with someone else, and I can only hope the person behind us enjoyed my little bit of kindness. It sure did brighten my evening a little more.
No comments:
Post a Comment